Thursday, October 26, 2006

space program

Cornell history professor Michael Kammen will be speaking at the Bookery II this Saturday at 2:30 p.m. He will be discussing issues related to his new book, Visual Shock: A History of Art Controversies in American Culture. Controversial topics include abstract art, nudity and all sorts of salaciousness. MacKenzie Ryan has a brief review in this week's Ithaca Times. She invokes the cover's "seemingly phallic" juxtaposition of Constantin Brancusi's "Bird in Space" with the Washington Monument. That makes two mentions of the great Romanian sculptor in one issue, the other being my own (you've seen it already, I'm sure).

UPDATE (10/29): The above date is correct, but the day of the week is wrong; the talk is Sunday. I'm going to begin a week of traveling by going down to Buffalo and will thus be unable to make it. Sorry for the misinformation.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Candy Minx said...

I loved the interview with you and Karl, Arthur!

I have just posted an interview I conducted with David Moos, a curator at the Art Gallery of Ontario. If this seems too regional a venue, consider that Glenn D Lowry worked as curator for The Art Gallery of Ontario before moving to the MOMA.

I hope you have some spare time to drop by my blog, and I would love to hear your perspective.

The interview is titled

"Does Art Live In Syriana?"

heres address:

http://gnosticminx.blogspot.com/2006/10/does-art-live-in-syriana.html


Cheers!
Candy

1:55 PM  
Blogger arthur said...

I'm glad you liked my interview.

About yours: I was just taking a break from reading it! Many of Moos' comments seem insincere or evasive, but I'll have to give it a closer look.

I write about art in Upstate New York, which feels really regional despite or perhaps because of its proximity to NYC.

Best to you too.

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home