Sunday, October 08, 2006

a game called echo

Some things that I've enjoyed recently or plan upon enjoying in the near future:

*A Cornell lecture by Albright-Knox director Louis Grachos, who co-curated last year's intriguing if unfortunately titled Extreme Abstraction.

*Cornell art department head, Buzz Spector is doing a book installation in downtown NYC next January. With luck, it will be recreated here in Ithaca come spring. The sculpture, to be shaped as an enormous "C", will compile work by university faculty in the arts and humanities.


*The Ithaca Times (which I write for) has an new arts editor, Natasha Pickowicz. I recently had the pleasure of meeting her. I have two upcoming reviews there. One--to appear this coming Wednesday--will be on Patrick Dougherty's outdoor installation. Appearing later in the month will be a review of the Johnson museum's upcoming exhibiton of Dada and Surrealist art. I'm particularly looking forward to reacquainting myself with the work of the great Kurt Schwitters. A wall of his paper collages--hung salon style--was the personal highlight of my visit to MoMA's Dada blockbuster back in August. Ms. Pickowicz has also started a Times arts blog, which I hope to contribute to soon. UPDATE: The Times blog linked to above is defunct; a new one will be launched into orbit in the coming weeks.

*My other major pilgrimage on my August trip was to the Jewish Museum's small show of Eva Hesse sculptures. (I unfortunately missed the accompanying show of her drawings.) Seeing them was a rare treat, due the fragility of the experimental materials that she used (latex, resin, fibreglass...). More about the two shows here...

*Up right now in NYC is Personal Geographies: Contemporary Artists Make Maps. The exhibit, which aims to show "work that relates to charting or mapping in a personal, non-empirical manner" includes work by Josh Dorman, whom I've written about glowingly in the past. More...

*Gerry Bergstein, with whom I've studied at the School of the Museum of Fine Arts, will be showing his work at Boston's Gallery NAGA. This is Your Brain on Art will open this coming Friday (the 13th). There will be a talk on the 21st. Following up my DeCordova piece, I'll be covering the show for Big Red & Shiny.

*Karl Zipser, of Art & Perception, recently interviewed me on art, blogging and number of related topics. While I don't expect it to surface for another week or two, you can find some other exchanges between the two of us here.

More to come...

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've not been in the U.S. for about eight years, so I am wondering what is this game called echo, some new trend? But now I realize that you are probably saying something clever that has nothing to do with a funny new trend in America. But realizing that doesn't make me know what you mean by echo. It might have something to do with the sound in an empty room, as if there is no one reading your blog . . . But Arthur, I've been reading the same post again and again since July! Or is that what you mean by echo? Ah, you writers love ambiguity. I have been enjoying Summer Reading and I plan to be enjoying reading your new posts in the future.

3:46 PM  
Blogger arthur said...

My pop culture reference was intended to be obscure (and not too new either), but the source is a mere Google search away. So I don't have to feel to guilty. And yes, the ambguity...Thanks for reading and commenting!

6:45 PM  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

Sounds like a wonderful series of events you've taken part in the last few weeks. I LOVE the Albright Knox Museum, it's really one of my favourite galleries to visit. They used to have a fantastic restaurant too, do they still? It's been ages since I've been, bt seen some awesome shows there in the past, plus their excellent collection.

7:59 AM  
Blogger arthur said...

Candy,

More like the last few months! Oh, and as much as half a year into the future as well

"Extreme Abstraction" combined classic paintings from their collection--in particular from the Ab-Ex era--with contemporary work, much of which the museum purchased before or during the exhibit. It was a neat show. I've only been to the AK once; what did you see?

The restaurant looked good as well, although I didn't eat there.

6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a game called echo

Okay, I did the Google search and I'm still confused, but I see that that is the point of ambiguity.

3:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Arthur,
Good to see you are back, and in full swing with some fine material. Looking forward to more this winter.

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home