Friday, February 09, 2007

eye wide shut

So, its been one year since my inaugural post here; I've no profound reflections to offer, but I did want to mark the occasion in some way. While my Eye hasn't exactly swelled to enormous size, I have made some friends (and no doubt some enemies) out there in the art blogosphere. And while I haven't been as prolific or as consistent or as with it as I would have liked, I'd like to think that I've written some informative, productive or at least entertaining material. I'd like to think as well, that I've put my my humble town (with its exaggerated artistic pretensions) as it were on the map. Thanks to all my readers for bearing with me. I hope to keep going for years to come, hopefully learning and growing and getting better.

I started this blog with the vague intention of becoming an "art writer". Although I studied studio art (at Boston's School of the Museum of Fine Arts) for four years, I've long felt tha
t my natural talents laid more in the realm of words. So, writing about the visual arts seemed like a obvious move, despite my lack of relevant credentials or experience. While I don't discount the import of blogging for its own sake, I'm glad that my writing here has lead to a semi-regular gig at the Ithaca Times (my local alt-weekly), as well as the opportunity to contribute occasionally to Boston's fine online magazine Big Red & Shiny. Thanks to both. Thanks as well to Karl Zipser and the other fine contributors at Art & Perception, a group blog to which I have contributed the infrequent post. Honestly, they're great; check them out if you haven't already.

To conclude this largely aimless post, I'd like to solicit some sort of feedback from my readers. I know that the proper way to do this to post constantly with timely, relevant things to say. All due respect to those out there capable of this. I beg your indulgence, all. But I'd love to know what's on all your minds.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Matthew Nash said...

Arthur, as you know, we are proud to include you in Big RED & Shiny. You are a great art writer with a strong voice and unique perspective. Your first year creating The Thinking Eye has been both a pleasure and a challenge for us regular readers, which it should be.

I can't wait to toast the decade anniversary of your blog. Keep up the great work.

10:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Arthur,

Happy blog birthday!

I've been thinking that blog-time is a bit like dog years -- it seems much longer than ordinary time. I first met you online sometime in last Spring and I feel like I've known you for ages [of course, I know you see the rest of us a little more than complex computer programs, but still, we are good simulations.] It is hard to believe you have only been The Thinking Eye for twelve months and two days! Keep up the great work.

3:55 PM  
Blogger arthur said...

Well, I did take a leave of absence for a few months in there. Still, keep the cake and presents coming.

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Arthur! From the perspective of a two month blogger, you look like a tested veteran. I just want to say that even when you don't write a full post, your notes and links like "happening" and "reading and looking" are very helpful to those of us (meaning all) who don't have time to visit everything we'd like. The role of trusted filter is a very honorable one.

6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoy your blog Arthur! Congrats!

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Arthur,

happy birthday!

I enjoy reading your posts on A&P for their unique character.

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Arthur,

One of my greatest joys is to be exposed to a good eye attached to a good ear (now there's an image to be worked). I am finding such joy in your work.

Thank you and happy birthday.

5:20 PM  
Blogger arthur said...

Thanks all. Steve, the posts you mention fall under the category of "roundup" or "links post". Its pretty standard blogging fare. They take me more time than you might think.

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home