Tuesday, June 19, 2007

earthworks

A postcard in the mail today: the esteemed Barbara Mink will be having a solo-show at Aurora, NY's GROVE ("an art and fine furniture gallery"). Entitled "Earthworks", the show will run from June 29 to July 29. There will be a reception on June 30th from 4 to 7 pm.

I've said good things about her work before, but truth be told, I'm a still a bit ambivalent. Her oil paintings
lately some with acrylic mixed inare dense, heavy and romantic. I think my own aesthetic sensibility tends to run a bit cooler. Still, it would be churlish to deny the impact of her best pieces. In some of her recent work, he seems to be moving away landscape allusions and towards a more straightforward fluid post-Pollock abstraction. (Icecaps, the piece above, is something of a hybrid.) I think that this helps.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home